Handmade Silk Pillowcases
Available as a pair or a single pillowcase
In September 2019 we released a collection of handmade silk pillowcases. These have proved very popular and now in 2022 we are adding a new option.
Our silk pillowcases are available as either a pair or as a single pillowcase.
Pair of Pillowcases : €130
Single Pillowcase : €70
The pillowcases are made in Ireland by Roisin Cross Silks. They are made in the traditional shape and are 75 cm x 50 cm in size. Silk weight is measured in mommies. Industry standards indicate 17 momme are ideal for silk pillowcases. Our silk pillowcases are 19 momme.
May 2020, Irish Times featured Roisin Cross Silks ‘…..silk pillowcases that come all boxed up and ready to gift. The boxed pillowcases would make a fine gift for a friend who might be spending a little more time in bed than usual. Silk pillowcases are smooth to the touch, less abrasive than poly/cotton and are said to be kind to hair and skin…’
Mary Cate Smith in The Sunday Business Post Magazine in March 2021, referenced our pairs of silk pillowcases as the hero product du jour for skinfluencers and beauty acolytes alike.
Care of your Roisin Cross Silks Pillowcases
If you recently purchased a silk pillowcase, congratulations! You’ve made a fantastic investment in your beauty sleep, as sleeping on/in silk helps to prevent wrinkles, reduce “bedhead” and tons of other beauty benefits. Few fabrics feel as decadent and luxurious as silk, and you’ll feel like royalty as you drift off to sleep.
But silk is also a bit more high maintenance than cotton and other common types of pillowcases, so it’s important to know how to properly care for this special fabric. Wash your silk pillowcase correctly so they last for years to come.
- Wash your pillowcase in warm water, (30 degrees) in the gentle (or delicate) setting. Hot water may distort the fibres.
- Use a pH-neutral detergent. Solutions that are too acidic or alkaline can leave your silk pillowcase feeling rough or stiff. Check the detergent container and it will usually say if it’s gentle enough for silk and other delicate fabrics.
- Do NOT use bleach or fabric softener. Bleach is much too rough on silk and can disintegrate the fibres.
- We recommend drip drying or line drying your pillowcase for best results but take care to keep it out of high temperatures and direct sunlight, which can damage the fibres and may cause colour fading. In general, high temperatures aren’t compatible with silk.
- Silk dries very quickly, and with proper line drying you can expect your pillowcase to be dry and ready for use in about 45 minutes.
- While we don’t recommend using a dryer, if you must: use a gentle, no-heat, air-only setting for no more than 15 minutes. Don’t use a fabric sheet or dryer ball.
Removing Stains from Your Pillowcase
Check your pillowcase for stains before adding it to the wash; if you notice any stains, follow the steps below to pre-treat the fabric:
Pre-soaking your pillowcase in vinegar can help remove stains and odours. Combine about ¼ cup of white vinegar and 1 gallon of cool water in a large bowl or a clean sink, and let your pillowcase soak in the mixture for about 30 minutes before washing.
Benefits of Sleeping on Silk Pillowcases
We came across this article about the 7 surprising benefits of silk.
Did you know that silk pillowcases and other silk items of clothing may help ease menopausal hot flushes, prevent the effects of aging, and relieve certain skin conditions?
Sleeping on silk pillowcases may hydrate your face better during the night than sleeping on cotton pillowcases.
Silk pillowcases are a great alternative for those who may have sensitive skin or intolerance’s to other fabrics.
Silk pillowcases are also less damaging to hair, as the hair slides on the fabric during the night.
Lastly, silk pillowcases are less likely than cotton pillowcases to cause sleep wrinkles on the face.
Online Ordering and Postage
Our silk pillowcases are gift boxed and securely packaged for posting and delivery. They will be delivered to you by An Post courier.
Please note ‘Tracking’ is only a facility that can be availed of for REGISTERED post.
The gift box dimensions are 31 cm x 23 cm x 8 cm
The following postage charges are additional to the price of the pillowcase and is weight dependent.
Ireland and EU : €6 to €12
Outside EU : €15 to €20